Discussion question and points to ponder
Identify the relevant population for the following research foci and ruggest the appropriate sampling design to investigate the issues, explaining why the are appropriate. Wherever necessary, identify the population frame as well.
A gun manufacturing firm would like to know the types of guns possessed by various age groups in Washington, D.C.
A hospital administrator wants to find out if the single parents working in the hospital have a higher rate of abseneism than parents who are not single.
A researcher would like to assess the extent of pilferage in the materials storage warehouses of manufacturing firms in the east coast.
The director of human resources wants to investigate the relationship between drug abuse and dysfunctional behavior of blue coliar workers in a particular plant.
a. explain why cluster sampling is a probability sampling design.
b. what are the advantages and disadvantages of cluster sampling.
c. describe a situation where you would consider the use of cluster sampling.
a. explain what precision and confidence are and how they influence sample size.
b. discuss what is meant by the statement there is a trade of between precision and confidence under certain condition.
The use of a convenience sample in organizational research is correct because all members share the same organizational stimuli and go through almost the same kinds of experiences in their organizational lives. Comment.
Use of a sample of 5.000 is not necessarily better than using one of 500. How would you react to this statement.
Nonprobability sampling design ought to be preferred to probability sampling designs in some cases. Explain with examples.
Because there seems to be trade of between accuracy and confidence for any given sample size, accuracy should be always considered more important than precision. Explain with reasons why you would or would not agree.
Overgeneralizations give rise to much confusion and other problems for researchers who try to replicate the findings. Explain what is meant by this.
Double sampling is probably the least used of all sampling designs in organizational research. Do you agree? Provide reasons for your answer.
1. a. toy gun was possessed by most children under 10 years in washington DC, while the 1 0 years old most children have the kind of long-barreled weapons.
b. yes, a single parent who works at the hospital have a higher level,
probably because she lived alone.
C. the results showed that the level of theft in the company’s warehouse storage facilities, material is very high. this is possible because the place is less strict vigil. and may also exist in the party who did this.
D. results of investigations of the human resources director indicated that the relationship between drug users with the blue-collar workers is very tight. it can
known from direct interviews to the workers.
2. a. cluster sampling lends it self to greater biases and is the least generalizable of all the probability sampling designs because most naturally occurring cluster in the organizational contex do not contain heterogeneous elements.
b. advantages cluster sampling is have intergroup heterogeneity and intergroup homogeneity are found. And disadvantages cluster sampling, the units costs of cluster sampling are much lower compared to the other probability sampling.
c. I will use cluster sampling when I’ve worked in companies that have products that were homogeneous and heterogeneous.
3. a. precision and confidence are important issues in sampling because when we use sample data to draw inference about the population.
b. in essence, confidence reflects the level of certainty with which we can state that our estimates of the population parameters.
4. yes probably almost all members of the organization has many similarities in past life experiences, so that all use of convenience samples in research organizations.
5. there is a point, because for what use the sample or samples when the truth is not much better than the sample lebiah little. better use of samples provided that some truth can be guaranteed.
6. in nonprobability sampling designs, the elements in the population have no probabilities attached to their being chosen as sample subjects.
7. strongly agree that the accuracy and reliability are more important than precision. because if the samples were unreliable and inaccurate, then the study could not be accounted for properly.
8. yes maybe the new researchers who want to replicate the findings should be more wisely in copying them, do not claim to have problems due to imitate the findings of other researchers who have first found it.
9. probably due to double sampling easier and more convenient to use in research.
This design provides added information at minimal additional expenditure.
Kelompok 1 :